06 January, 2011

Musée du Louvre

We spent nearly five hours at the Musée du Louvre one day and the time absolutely blew by. This, is Babe's version of Hermès..

And, unlike the company I was keeping, in no way does my appreciation or eye match my très limited knowledge. But, as I flippantly retorted to Babe during one of his shut it down looks, it only remains ignorance when you don't ask questions. Even if they do embarrass your husband...

Winged Victory of Samothrace was hands down my favorite piece at the Louvre and I could have gobbled up at least another hour just gaping in awe...

Inaugural exposing question reared it's embarrassing head at the Mona Lisa where the fans literally ran when the doors opened: (whispering to Babe while also keeping a wide berth from the crowd after the previous days brush with pickpockets at the Monet exhibit) Whaaat's the big deeeaaal? It's DaVinci..and it's beautiful..buuut, I'd don't understand what makes it sooo famous? First shut it down look of the morn cast my way...

(apparently in not as much of a whisper as I had intended) Was she maaade without arms? Collective laughing and joking amongst our intimate party of five followed by another, undetected by anyone other than it's intended target, shut. it. down. look...

The Plato, Aristotle and Socrates busts where I kept it shut down. But, boy was I brimming with questions...

Napoleon's apartments where Mister Proper Pants loosened the reins a bit...

Guess that's what years of beating him in antiques and design categories on Jeopardy bought me...

And, the look of pride he and Amy cast my way while spying my interest in the above masterpiece is about to be replaced with pity when they read how I was really giggling to myself and thinking, Look! Can't wait to show Maxminimus the Dutch Masters incorporated early Butt Police calipers...

Kindness of everyone for taking this post in the light spirit 'twas intended. After my sentries protectively raked my well meaning editors over the coals yesterday I'm a smidgeon nervous about a possible storming of the castle if I keep offering up cake...XXOO

13 comments:

  1. In addition to all his other stellar qualities, we find out that Babe is also a Renaissance Man....

    Cougar did good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say they (the works of art) never grow old. Always a delight.
    Sounds as if you had a great time. Thanks again for sharing.

    Always, Bumby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very enjoyable touring the Louvre with you...

    Looking forward to tomorrow's chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice, I diiiiiied laughing this AM and this made me so awake that I got to skip the pre-gym can o diet coke- you are simply hysterical, that I could have been a fly on the wall to watch you and your take on it all!

    xoox

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind me a smidge of Eloise, always trying to find fun in life and adding a dash of pink to the party.
    I do hope you are working on a book for 2011....I mean I just want to read more about your escapades.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe the ML is the oldest know painting done in chiaroscuro which is along a certain line in a wheel of tint/tone/hue I could draw an idea of where the line is...but it's hard to describe in type.

    I learned this in art history in college and always kept it for cocktail parties....I think this is the first time I have ever used it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the abbreviated tour...I was there years ago and barely got a look at the Mona Lisa due to the HUGE crowd gawking at her...and I'll admit I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about either...really bummed I missed the tour of Napoleon's apartments. Looking forward to your next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. J'adore le Louvre! The setting in Winged Victory is placed is just stunning I think- I could gaze for hours. What a FAB trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your best line of the day was when you were admiring the Roman era jeweled tiara, sighed, and said "I wish people still wore crowns..."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the "shut it down look" phrase. Is that sort of like the "nudge under the table" at family dinners? hehe Looking forward to your posts! What a fab trip and Maxminimus will love this. :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew, I just knew that the Dutch Masters were good for something other than cigars. Those calipers seem rather small to me though. Mighta been prototype calipers for the Wanker Police.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heavens...I need to travel with you all. Two trips to Paris...one with Hank and one with Hank and children. Both times my traveling companions had NO interest at all in doing anything more than moving through the Louvre and D'Orsay as fast as they possibly could. Maybe now that the children are grown...

    ReplyDelete