20 October, 2009

Tartanware Needlepoint Frame

Years ago I was pumping out these Tartanware needlepoint frames around this time to give as Christmas gifts. Of course, only really special friends were on the receiving end of my hard work and, I'm pretty certain these one of a kind gifts are still displayed in places of honor in a handful of homes...

I found the pattern in Glorafilia's The Miniature Needlepoint Collection and it was a relitively simple undertaking considering it was my first attempt at stitching to count. You know, the non-cheat way...

The cost of supplies was nominal and, once I completed the needlework, I just took it to a framer and had them finish it in a black velvet easel back frame...

If you are so inclined to attempt this Ralph Lauren vignette worthy frame yourself, click on the above directions and pattern to enlarge and then print out. Just be sure to put yourself at the head of the receiving line for any finished pieces, natch...

At least they better still be in a place of honor or I may have to send in the repo man...XXOO

15 comments:

  1. Oh those are stunning! I may have to add those to the pile of crafts to do. Thanks for putting me in the needlepoint mood with something so fresh as a tartan. Tartan with velvet sounds so holiday-ish!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the instructions. I usually don't like to do counted designs, but geomtrics like this are great. I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. Sadly, I am a total failure when it comes to any kind of needlework. I just need generous friends who feel sorry for my lack of skill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the colors alone create a wonderful and unique Christmas gift feel. I shall give it a try soon. Interesting that a framer was used for finishing. Many thanks for sharing the details of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an extrodinary gift; I'm dying to learn to needlepoint and will have to work my way up to something like this. A lofty ambition, but look like it's well worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allie, those are just beautiful.

    Thanks so much for the instructions...now if I could just find the time!

    raed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't you just talented! Those are really cute - love anything plaid always. My scottish blood, my scottish last name and being a carnegie mellon alumni in me connects with the plaid)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I didn't have two project in the works this would one I would consider taking on. Lucky are the recipients of your hand work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic. Talented. If I tried that the entire cast of CSI would be beating down the door trying to figure out where all the blood came from. The needle would spend more time in my fingertips than the canvas...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a ridiculous gift to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. L-O-O-V-E the cat photo in the needlepoint frame. Allie, you have the most photogenic cats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh lordy, Ralph would be so proud! Seriously, that first picture looks like something out of an RL brochure. Love the tartan against the blue & white lamp. Eye candy. I live right by a needlepoint shop and every time I pass it I say I'm going to go sign up for lessons. It looks soooo hard though and my eyes are just not what they use to be. Sigh.

    In the new Country Living magazine there is a section Mad For Plaid with several tartan things that are being ordered as we speak. Hubby is going to kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I knew how to do this stuff. I think it is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have GOT to learn to needlepoint. these are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just learned how to needlepoint, and this looks fab. Thanks for the post!

    EQV
    atthemeadows.com

    ReplyDelete