09 October, 2009

October Goodness

I was tagged last week by Katie at Queen Bee Swain and requested to reveal my favorite things relating to the month of October. I thought it would be a tuffie, considering I am still in all black for the death of summer but, I managed to rally and remind myself to appreciate the change in seasons...

Although it officially debuted in September, I will not allow myself to indulge in Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte til October. Some things are just sacred and cannot be rushed...

The fall in Charlottesville was truly beautiful with all the deciduous trees turning colors...

And I really miss our little cottage in the Farmington right about now...


October 1st marks the day I make the official switch from my spring/summer Chanel Christalle perfume to my fall/winter Lauren. Not a day sooner...

Nothing beats a run when all the leaves are on the ground and I'm only a couple weeks away from this small boost in helping me get out of bed to log my early morning mileage...

A true Eastern Shore gal knows that October enters with archery season and exits with muzzleloader...

And, all the good duds that go with the hunting life. Where did that old pair of Hunters vanish to?

And finally, I go weak in the knees for caramelized apples and no one does caramel apples each year like good ole Martha...

Martha Stewart's Poison Apples
Makes 15

15 Lady apples
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
Vegetable oil cooking spray, for baking sheet
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61% cacao), melted and slightly cooled

1. Poke a hole into stem end of each apple, and insert a clean 5-inch twig, small dowel, or skewer into each hole. Set pistachios on a plate. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. Place sugar and corn syrup in a medium, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until mixture is dark gold, about 15 minutes. remove from heat, and slowly drizzle in heavy cream, stirring vigorously. Let stand for 5 minutes.

3. Dip 1 apple into caramel to coat bottom third, and remove immediately, allowing excess to drip off bottom. Dip caramel-coated apple into pistachios, using your fingers to help nuts stick to caramel. Transfer coated apple to oiled baking sheet, nut side down. Repeat with remaining apples, caramel, and pistachios. Let apples stand until set, about 30 minutes.

4. Place melted chocolate in a resealable plastic bag. Snip off the tip of one bottom corner to form a very small hole. Holding one apple by the twig, drizzle lines of chocolate onto apple, and let stand until chocolate is set, 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining apples and chocolate. Caramel apples can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.

Kindness of Katie at Queen Bee Swain for reminding me that fall ain't so bad...

12 comments:

  1. Ah, the sacred pumpkin spice latte, the autumnal altar upon which I worship the coffee gods. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the Midwest we gear up for the hunt too. I haven't been deer stalking in years, the kids carry on the tradition now.
    I'm still in black too while I begrudgingly make the transition to fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you, I forgot all about Summer...for a moment. Happy Autumn.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your a hunter?!!?! Forget blogger brunch, let's just go shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the original Lauren. When I wear it, I feel like I'm 19 again. To me, it smells like the hallways of the Kappa house c.1981.

    ReplyDelete
  6. top-shelf autumn fav's allie! the pic of you with the deer is hyster- I thought I was the only preppy gal that knew how to hunt- so glad I'm no longer alone!

    happy weekend and have that pumpkin latte already!

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am craving a pumpkin spice latte after reading that. I love the planters at the cottage! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just a delightful list of the wonders Fall brings, they are all classics. And we adore the Queen Bee, she is just a joy.

    May your weekend be splendid,
    tp

    ReplyDelete
  9. dearest, you forgot the BEST part of c'ville in the fall: apple cider donuts from carter's mountain! those alone make fall worth living.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to love about fall, but you've certainly hit the highlights. With the flip of the calendar to Oct 1 I dutifully switch my perfume season too... glad to have found your blog and look forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete