29 July, 2009

Reporting Remotely From the Beach

I'm back at the beach for the month and I couldn't be happier...

This love of the beach is in my DNA and traces back to my Nana and Papa...

Which was passed on through my mother...

And, instilled in me at birth.

Flash forward several decades and today that's still my sister Julie and me on any given summer day, side by side on the beach. Albeit, these days we don't need babysitting, prefer sitting on beach chairs, have a stack of magazines instead of shovels, and are usually flanked by her daughters and their friends.

Even the boys get into the swing of things at the beach house making sure to take advantage of the PTH's too...

My Elizabeth Turner Collection needlepoint belt says it all. Including...how I stitched myself in a white bikini, lying under one of my father's signature blue and silver umbrellas, AND a shade tanner than anyone else, natch...

And, seeing that the "beach gene" has been passed on to yet another generation, I made sure to include Emma and Hilary surfing in my little beach talisman. Stay tuned for what is sure to be a recurring theme through the next several weeks. Sorry, it's in my blood...

Kindness of my Aunt Mary Jo for all those years of beach babysitting. I suspect they weren't easy...

16 comments:

  1. Dear Allie in Gtown,
    Take me with you! Yes, that is an exclamation point. Love that belt. Your taste is impeccable. Enjoy your beach time, sans babysitter. Thanks for sharing, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered your delightful blog yesterday and have had a good time reading through your posts. Love, love, love your custom needlepoint belts and am inspired to dig out one that I have had for more years than I care to remember and get stitching.
    It is very nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Love the belts. Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, you were made for Summer.
    You could have a line designed and written in a vernacular of your own secret summer addiction.
    Summer does make me happy, the beach, the sun, the sand and all that goes with.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  5. j'adore the picture of the boys! looks like they've got the beach gene too. i'm there in t-minus 2 weeks and counting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm not so sure that you and sis don't still need 'babysitting'. Something tells me you two probably still way have more fun than the law should allow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad the kitties get a beach vaca too!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful time as I know you will! You look like you belong on the beach so you'll be in your element! The vintage pics are great and I love the pic of the boys at the beach, adorable!

    Amy
    Aimala127@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your belt & the story it tells! What a treasure. Thanks for sharing!! I loved the photos too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're making me nostalgic for my old beach-y summers growing up. We'd head down to the Texas coast (not so great, but hey, it's close) and my parents had a big camper and we'd actually sleep in it on the beach. I can remember going to sleep with the sound of the ocean waves. Nothing is more peaceful! And always the sand on the floor and in the car. Ahh, yes, sand everywhere. I was always so worried to go in the water because I was terrified of stepping on crabs (which did happen now and then). Okay, I'm off to look for chidhood beach photos. I'm getting wistful just thinking about it all. :0

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allie...LFG and I are just back from SC. I bought back some beach pics from the 60's and 70's...it's great fodder for an upcoming post. LFG is brown as a berry from all her beach jaunts this year. We love the beach as much as y'all.

    ADG

    ReplyDelete