10 July, 2009

Happy Birthday Teague and Charlotte

This weekend my family will converge at my sister Mandy's house where she and her husband, Scott, host an annual birthday extravaganza for my niece and nephew.

Teague and Charlotte are true Irish twins, born less than a year apart, with only a couple of days between their birthdays in July.



This year Aunt Alice and Uncle Babe are gifting Charlotte with one of my all time fav movies, Born Free. You know that universal question, "If you could invite five people living or dead to dinner who would they be"? Well, although not technically a "person", Elsa would be at the top of my list. I'd seat her right next to Seabiscuit.

British children of a "certain class" are brought up on Kipling and I still remember begging my mom to read "just one more chapter" before bed when I was very young. Although, I am of English decent, I don't think I fall quite into the aforementioned category but, one can reach. So, in passing on the tradition of Gunga Din and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, it's The Jungle Book for Tiggie. Aunt Allie will either be remembered for introducing a love of classics ooooorrrr....for horrible nightmares involving Shere Khan and big, mean man eating lions. It could go either way and I'm sure Mandy will keep me posted especially, if any loss of sleep is involved...

14 comments:

  1. Dear Allie in Gtown,
    Irish twins run in our family. My brother and I were born 10 1/2 months apart and my husband and his brother were born 11 months apart. I hope your family's Irish twins have a wonderful celebration. Thanks for sharing, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Said niece and nephew are lucky to have such a great Auntie. You are building fun memories with them.

    ADG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunts ALWAYS give the best presents - you set the bar high Allie !
    The original embossed cover 1st edition of TJB is scrumptious, isn't it !?

    In my humble opinion, a kids book collection must also include Robert McCloskey's Blueberries for Sal, Time Of Wonder, Morning In Maine (they're not chapter books, but still old standbys.....)
    I still love 'em and I'm....well, I won't say how old.

    Also, adore Miroslav Sasek's "This Is" series, a brilliant collection of children's travel books first published in 1959 and updated/reissued - fabulously illustrated & fun to collect for a kid's library.

    Your niece & nephew probably never stop smiling when you walk through the door.
    Cheers, Ali (WI)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great presents, Auntie. And I may be bringing the conversation down a notch or two, but may I just say that those cakes look delightful!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother read me Kipling's Just So Stories when I was little. The Elephant Child on the banks of the Limpopo river. I still remember it. http://www.online-literature.com/kipling/165/. You are a good aunt. And those are some so super cute little kidlets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my god, they are DARLING!! sounds like they are lucky to have such a great auntie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. have too much fun! my father and my uncle are barely 11 months apart- good grief- Irish twins are just wild!

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard that term before. Irish Twins. I like it and now that I think of it, I know a few.

    I had an aunt just like you. She will be here in August and I can not wait. I'm 46 years old and STILL can not wait to see my aunt - just like when I was six. See what you're building?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those are two good looking children (and cake!). They're lucky to have an aunt like you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so cute! I am sure they will love their very thoughtful presents :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful kids and pretty pretty pretty cakes!!! Xoxo-BLC

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always inspired by the gifts you give--good gift-givers are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the names Teague and Charlotte. Charlotte was one of my top 3 baby girl names.

    I was read all those books, but I have to reluctantly say that I think my all time favorite bedtime story was the (now) very politically incorrect Little Black Sambo. It was pure magic to me. And probably the reason I like pancakes too much. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cakes for beautiful children!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete