20 November, 2009

I've Been Bitten

If it doesn't revolve around Gwynnie, Reese or Jane Austin I'm not one for test driving movies out of my preferred genre. Unless under duress, i.e. the influence of one Babe, I stick with my well dressed, well heeled, feel good family or period films. And, I am most especially sci-fi phobic...



But, leave it to Oprah to draw me into the Twilight Saga fold. Hours after watching her interview with Stephenie Meyer I was in line at Blockbuster and drinking the Bella/Edward Kool Aid...

Imagine my surprise when I get a phone call from the bff Kimba saying that she too was drawn in and devoured the first two books in the series this past week. After getting over my initial shock (she has even more rigid criteria than moi) I gathered my wits enough to secure a borrowing of the books upon her arrival to the beach next month...


Unfortunately, the New Moon will have to wait til next week when Hilbil's is home for Thanksgiving break. There ain't no way Babe would suffer through this movie. And, if he did, I would be the one doing most of the suffering...

Kindness of Oprah for luring me in, Kimba for promising to loan me her Twilight books and, moi for having the smarts to see a disaster in the making and circumnavigating it with a backup movie date...XXOO

16 comments:

  1. Oh please. No praise for The Oprah!
    Love your blog, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you've gotten bit by the Twilight series bug...haha...my daughter LOVES them. She was suppose to go to the opening midnight showing tonight but the plans fell through (yeah!)....

    Maybe I need to see what all the fuss is about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I got sucked (ha!) in thanks to my babysitters. I'm obsessed. I also have a Team Edward button that my husband will not allow me to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My step-daughter told me I had to read the books - I did read the first one, and I have the second one waiting. Not bad...but I haven't seen the movie (#1) - the frenzy over the actor who plays Edward totally passed me by - I find him strangely unattractive!

    One day I'll read the rest of the books...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I read the series after my daughter called me, swooning, almost unable to speak. I thought they were OK. But if I'm going to whole lot of books about the same people, give me Patrick O'Brian any day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are my favorite books...ever. You have to be ready to commit to them though. It will consume your life. I read all four within a month and pretty much didn't speak to anyone during that time. Read them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just watched the first one on wednesday night.. and I am looking forward to seeing New Moon over thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oprah ending in 2011? Now it's crunch time for me to finally secure tickets to a show...the clock is ticking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read the books but I did see the trailer for New Moon and decided to add Twilight to my Netflix. I'm watching it tonight. I hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you can't wait for the BFF to bring the books let me know, I am happy to send a copy along!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter is reading it now, and learning lots of new words saunter, omnipresent, and more.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are not going to be able to stop with just one! I too drank the kool-aid, and I will confess, I have already seen the new movie! Chhesy, silly and fun! It will be a quick, entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got sucked into them too! I guess I didnt want to be the only person in the world who hasnt read them!

    I just finished the last one a couple of weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was skeptical at first, too! When I picked up the first book--that was it! I couldn't stop till I finished the last one. I am looking forward to seeing New Moon when the crowds die down.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so don't do vampires. I think it is super gross. BUT I watched Twilight with my son and now I'm hooked. It is fun! xoxo

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  16. i never thought i would like teen vampire novels. i got SO hooked last christmas. i got the 4 book box set and read them all over a 3 day trip. when i got the twilight dvd for my birthday in march, i was officially a twilight obessed freakshow. i am not ashamed!

    ReplyDelete