10 November, 2009

Babe's Casserole Trifecta: First Contender

Babe has three dishes that he repeatedly requests throughout the cold months. I have been turning these out for years and, although I eventually yell "uncle", he never tires of his trio of casserole type dish demands...

Last weekend I pulled the dust cloth off the ole Spaghetti Pie as a special send off meal. It's hard to believe this recipe originated from Cooking Light magazine. Hmmm...maybe they weren't taking into consideration the accompaniments of butter soaked garlic bread and Berger Cookies when in the caloric test kitchen...

1 pound ground round
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 (14 oz) jars spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 block of cream cheese, softened
1 box hot cooked spaghetti
cooking spray
5 ounces shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well, and return meat to pan. Stir in salt, pepper, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Combine the sour cream, green onions, and cream cheese in a small bowl and set aside. Place the spaghetti noodles in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Spread the sour cream mixture over spaghetti noodles. Top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover, bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. About 6 generous servings.

Stay tuned for casserole contenders two and three; Melissa's Mexican Lasagna and Kathleen's Chicken Enchiladas. I am sure to be called upon to make these in the very near future...

Kindness of Babe for prefering this to my Coq Au Vin. Spaghetti Pie is waaay easier to make. Easy as pie..XXOO

10 comments:

  1. I so love your blog and am looking forward to the other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts -- everyone has something like this that is a fav!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for solving my "what to make for dinner" dilemma. Sadly we will not have Berger Cookies to enjoy afterwards. But they are on the stocking stuffer list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, looks delicious. My husband does not like cassaroles in general but he will eat Spaghetti Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm going to have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom makes a version of this! She uses ricotta - I guess in place of the sour cream and cream cheese?

    Smart Babe, I would request this often, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made this for Hubs tonight... an absolute hit! Thanks so much. Can't wait to try the next contender!
    Amanda Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the recipe-I love your blog and so appreciate all the recipes and shopping "tips" (although my husband may not consider them "tips"!)
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a huge hit in my house this weekend! Would you please clarify the amount of tomato sauce? 2 (80 oz) jars does not seem right. Thanks. We are trying the sticky bun recipe next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for clarifying the sauce amount. I am trying to rationalize making it again next week!

    ReplyDelete