19 November, 2009

Claim To Fame Oyster Dressing

If I were on death row, and requesting my last meal, at the very top of my list would be my family's oyster dressing. Since we are exactly a week away from Thanksgiving I thought I'd share now in hopes of giving you enough time to develop your game plan for aquiring some top notch oysters. I'll be making my yearly pilgrimage to Chincoteague with my trusty Playmate cooler for mine...

*1 pint Chincoteague oysters, drained and chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cup chopped celery with leaves
1 cup butter
8-9 cups hand cubed soft bread crumbs (cheap loaves white bread works best)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves (I am very generous with the sage)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (and, equally as generous with the thyme)

In a large stock pot, cook and stir onion and celery in butter until onion is translucent and tender. Turn off heat and stir in about half the amount of hand cubed bread crumbs. Turn into a deep bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss. Amount of bread cubes used with depend on how moist the oysters are so add in stages. Cook in a covered dish At 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*Be sure to use quality, salty oysters (preferably Chincoteague) otherwise it's just not as delish.

Kindness of (fingers crossed) my Dad who will, hopefully, also be making his yearly pilgrimage to Chincoteague thus saving me a trip...XXOO

6 comments:

  1. Yum. My Thanksgiving excitement just started. I'll use the very best oysters I can find, probably whatever is at whole foods. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am drooling- think we will have this along with cornbread sausage dressing. One can never have enough on Thanksgiving right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For years and years we have had Oysters Mosca, basically a bit more New Orleans variety of your Oyster dressing.

    As a point, it would probably go really well with a Turducken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do use oysters from Whole Foods Longwing be sure to add a smidge more salt. I would actually suggest adding salt to the brine the night before and allowing it to sit before draining...

    And, that's just plain blasphemous Dickie! Poor Samma's drooling just came to a screeching halt...XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I am not known for my culinary skills, but I'm gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to share this with my hubby - he makes a mean oyster stuffing! But, you're so fortunate that live where you can get your hands on the freshest of the fresh oysters. Delish!

    ReplyDelete