18 June, 2009

Emma's Favorite Southern Mint Brownies

Whenever we have a family soirée during the summer months, Emma invariably spearheads the campaign requesting either one of two things from moi; Barefoot Contessa's guacamole or...my famous Southern Mint Brownies. Dare to show up with both and you could quite possibly spend the evening being fanned with palm fronds and hand fed peeled grapes in appreciation for your greatness.


4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa
1 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Mint Cream Frosting
3 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter

Beat eggs lightly with a wire whisk in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, and stir well. Combine flour and cocoa; gradually stir into egg mixture. Stir in melted butter and flavorings. Pour into a greased 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan; bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Spread Mint Cream Frosting over brownie layer; freeze 15 minutes. Melt chocolate squares and 3 tablespoons butter in heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Spread over frosting using a pastry brush. Refrigerate until firm; cut into squares. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen

Mint Cream Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract 3 to 4 drops green food coloring

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer; gradually mix in the sugar, beating after each addition. Add milk; beat until spreading consistency. Stir in peppermint extract and food coloring. Yield: about 2 cups.

Disclaimer: If ya plan on fitting into any of the loot you may have ordered from yesterday's Calypso post, I would advise using above recipe with extreme caution, for they are highly addictive...

18 comments:

  1. OK- dilemma...
    A. I want to make these brownies ASAP
    B. I know I can't eat just one!

    Enjoyed visiting and am now a follower,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. these sound DIVINE. have you tried the barefoot contessa guacamole salad? a whole other level of deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fantastic! I'm going to have to make them SOON! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brownies are my weakness! I most definitely will have to approach these with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Allie,
    Those mint brownies make me melt.....are they dense or cakey?
    A little trick, adding depth/ultra richness to the chocolate, is to prepare yourself a cup-o-espresso and pour a couple tablespoons from the cup into the batter. Never fails, regardless of the grade chocolate used, this ALWAYS boosts the flavor and adds amazing depth - everyone wonders but cannot figure out why or what it is.....any coffee works, but the richer the better.
    I also grind dark roast beans to a extremely fine dust (2 tsp) & add to chocolate almond biscotti batter - otherworldly!!
    Ali from WI

    ReplyDelete
  6. just change the name of your blog to "warning danger"
    or "temptress of evil" lol.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my mint chocolate chip cookies (I stuck tiny plastic horses in the cooling chips one year & took them to work because it was a Sat/Kentucky Derby Day & we couldn't have mint juleps) they are my special treat.
    I have relatives coming in town tomorrow. Timing couldn't be better. I love just about any mint yum yums.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend who does this and puts those chocolate mints (can't remember their name) on top of each one! It's her signature dish for bringing to picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i thought we were getting off the sugar, Allie! I am still comatose from my bout with the Tae's cookies over the weekend!

    Love you!
    Meggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good and my husband love mint chocolate chip so I know he will love these..I am making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alice!!! All I can think about are these brownies when all I should be eating is ice chips or salsa with cottage cheese!! I will most likely be whipping these up tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pigtown
    I think you mean Andes mints! I can't wait to make these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay I love anything chocolate mint-y. And I mean that truly because I even have chocolate mint candles that I burn in my house. And chocolate mint body wash, body oil, etc. You get the picture.

    Why did you post this? I have a high school reunion coming next month and must fast starting now. Didn't you know that?!

    P.S. Picked up Prep School Handler today. Commence reading tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.S. Just got the new Elle Decor and it features a 12 page spread on Aerin Lauder. Now I'm thinking we like the same people (India Hicks) and I bet you like her too...I posted the cover on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh these look absolutely delicious! I'd love to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, I think I will make these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete