22 April, 2009

Bonanno's or Barefoot

I was 13 pair deep when I learned the devastating news; Jack Rogers are knockoffs. Turns out, Stephen Bonanno Sandals is the original, real deal. And, here I had been traipsing about like a preppy fraud (gasp!) for yearrrs and didn't even know it!

The history of the Navajo, as us old schooler's still refer to them (kind of like a turtleneck is still a Skyre), is that it was originally designed for Jac-waa-leeene Kennedy in the early 1960's by Luigi Pucillo (the designer) and Benny and Eva Bonanno (the cobbler and his wife). Today, their son Stephen continues hand-crafting the "Palm Beach Classic", along with many other styles, one pair at a time.

In 2004 Stephen's sister Vivian and her husband Dominick opened the first signature Stephen Bonanno store in historic downtown Stuart, Florida.

Stephen Bonanno specializes in custom sizing and they have beaucoup colors to choose from.

You will lose sleep deciding over which color combinations to get.

Vivian and her husband are très, très friendly and helpful if you find yourself pulling hair out over these decisions.

The Emma Classic Monogram also has a certain cult following although, I have not yet had any of that lemonade.

You know...HRH of Prep, Lilly Pulitzer only wears Bonanno's...

So, what did I do with my 13 pair of JR's? Lucky size 9 Emma received a huge care package and, after 2 years I am more than halfway through rebuilding my collection with Bonanno's.

Right now Stephen Bonanno is holding their Sunfest Sale and from April 29 - May 3 you may take $20 off every pair. But, I must mention that custom orders placed during the sale may take up to 15 weeks in production due to volume and the fact that they are all handmade. There is no assembly line here!

Kindness of Melissa C. Morris for cluing me into to my sandal faux pas...

9 comments:

  1. I have also read some bloggers talking about how uncomfortable their Jack Rogers sandals are. The Bonannos are comfortable from day one; don't you agree? Your closet pics were filled with fabulous-ness!! Loved the arrangement of ties! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I never knew that either. Your closet is hysterical. I love Belgian loafers too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love my SBs and am happy to hear you like yours as well. i love all the colors in your closet. thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. are those gold shoes on top the lilly ones a big tort medallion?...my favorite shoe of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, those are gold Revas. At least, I think that's what you asked me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Allie,
    Love your blog and thanks so much for the Sunfest Sale plug.

    It is a fabulous sale of $20.00 off all sandal styles and colors, but patience is a virtue when it comes to the wait time. :)

    Vivian
    Stephen Bonanno Sandals Factory

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I am mentioned in your blogs frequently...I'm not complaining though because it usually means I got something good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad Hilary beat you to the punch tho. I'll get you to read my blog regularly one clever way or another...XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... learn something new everyday.

    Cute sandal line-up!

    ReplyDelete