15 April, 2010

Bill Blass Meat Loaf aka The Louie

I yanked Bill Blass's meat loaf recipe out of House Beautiful a couple decades ago and have been faithfully making it ever since...

It is now affectionately known, round these parts, as the "Louie" in honor of Templeton and George's good cyber friend, Louie "the Meat Loaf" DeVries (pictured above with his Chief of Staff Charlie DeVries)...

2 lbs ground sirloin
1/2 lb ground veal
1/2 ground pork
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
pinch dried thyme
pinch dried marjoram
1 bottle Heinz chili sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


In large mixing bowl gently combine ground sirloin, veal and pork; set aside.
In a medium sauté pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add celery and onions and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add sautéed celery and onions and all remaining ingredients except chili sauce to meat mixture.

Combine well and form into a loaf, a la Louie. Place the Louie like loaf in a baking dish and top with chili sauce.

Bake 1 hour in a preheated 350° oven. Serves 6 and doesn't turn it's nose up at a good ketchup dousing.

Kindness of Louie and Charlie DeVries for their heartfelt concern for Templeton's failing kidneys. Tatsie feels your Massachusetts love all the way down here...XXOO

9 comments:

  1. I interviewed with Mr.Blass many years ago. circa 80 ish. I was so bummed that I did not get the design job, but I did get the recipe for the meat-loaf and several samples from a sample sale which I wore til they fell apart.
    I love meatloaf and onion sandwiches and BB classics.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - we must try this. The children get quite bored with meatloaf a la Tasha Tudor.

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best! Charlie, of course is sooo honored @ the post and so concerned @ Templeton. Louie "Meatloaf" sends his brotherly love too. Now onto The Fruit Center for the makings.... xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will definitely have to try as Mr. Z loves meatloaf. :) Sending prayers to dear Templeton and his mummy and daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing, you make me smile and laugh all day. cannot wait to see ya again. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox moi2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, that looks very tasty - may have to make this one for Hubby (or he for me, depending on who is cooking that night!)Sending positive thoughts to you and Templeton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh... I love you so much, but Alice darling you should have warned me! I delicate vegetarian since I'm 8, this post is sure to cause nightmares. Regardless, I still adore you!

    xoxox
    s.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How old is dear Templeton? I am so sad about his situation...

    BTW, we have a 14 year-old whippet in daily diapers, so I can kinda relate.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. simply the best meatloaf recipe ever... xx

    ReplyDelete