22 November, 2010

Oyster Dressing It's Baaackkk...

My parents are just now making their way home from Mexico so Babe and I were elected to make the past weekend's pilgrimage to Chincoteague and secure the holiday oyster supply...

Like I said last year, if I were on death row, and requesting my last meal, at theee very top on the menu would be my family's oyster dressing. And, since we're mere days away from Thanksgiving, I thought I'd reshare the recipe in hopes of giving ya'll enough time to develop a game plan for acquiring your own top notch oysters...

*1 pint Chincoteague oysters, drained and chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cup chopped celery with leaves
1 cup butter
8-9 cups hand cubed soft bread crumbs (cheap loaves white bread works best)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves (I am very generous with the sage)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (and, equally as generous with the thyme)

In a large stock pot, cook and stir onion and celery in butter until onion is translucent and tender. Turn off heat and stir in about half the amount of hand cubed bread crumbs. Turn into a deep bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss. Amount of bread cubes used will depend on how moist the oysters are so, add in stages. Cook in a covered dish At 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*Be sure to use quality, salty oysters (preferably Chincoteague) otherwise it's just not as delish.

Kindness of Babe for letting me know our morning 9 miler burned over 1000 calories which freed me up for a guiltless fried oyster sandwich and onion rings indulgence while our oyster supply was being packed on ice for the long ride home...XXOO

11 comments:

  1. YUM!!! Thanks for sharing this mouth watering delight!!! Love all shelled seafood .. Oysters are right up there!!.. Happy Thanksgiving.. xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You KNOW this will be on my Thanksgiving table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My late father's 2 favorite things were oyster dressing and mincemeat pie and I acquired his taste for neither. A pint of the former would appear and my mother would know a command performance was requested. He would be the only one eating the dressing and would do so with gusto. He was as skinny as a rail until the day he died - I'd like to think it was because every morsel he put in his mouth gave him such pleasure that he never overindulged on thoughtless junk. Thanks for bringing me this memory for Thanksgiving. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. MADE YOUR RECIPE LAST THANKSGIVING!!!! It was amazing!!!!

    Happy Turkey dear Alice and Josh!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy! my dad and i LIVE for oyster dressing. can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mountains of my mother-in-law's stuffing is the main reason I do a T-Day 5 miler.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bon appetit dearest Allie!!! Xo
    Don't be surprised if you see this menu item on the Whole Foods roster next year - the only substitution might be a lovely WA oyster!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nine miles? Geez. The Butt Police are gonna be sittin' around like the Maytag repairmen if that kinda routine catches on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made your recipe for oyster dressing last year at Christmas. It was delicious! Thank you for sharing it!! I also like oysters added to giblet gravy. It's great over any kind of dressing!

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandmother always made oyster pie... Pretty similar. ANYTHING oyster is just fine in my book! Will definitely add your recipe to my collection...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nine miles, congratulations.
    The recipe looks amazing.
    Happy Thanksgiving to SIAV, Babe, Pilgie and Lolly.
    A real kindness to you,
    BarbaraG

    ReplyDelete