03 November, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas

When my in-laws were very young and on a budget they relied heavily on their très economical homemade tortillas with beans. They became so loved by the family that the bean burritos tradition was established and they are still Babe's favorite all these years later...

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
teaspoon salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water heated in microwave for 60 seconds
*1/8 cup ground flax seed optional (and my special addition to the family recipe)


Combine flours and salt.

Add the evoo and combine with a pastry blender (or forks) until the consistency of small pebbles. Add the hot water and mix using your hands, kneading 10-15 times into a ball. Don't get discouraged if you find the dough to be tempermental on occassion. You'll learn to add a smidge more flour or hot water til the consistancy feels not too dry and not too wet.

Divide into 6-8 equal size pieces and roll into balls.

Return to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Lightly flour surface and rolling pin. Roll each ball out to desired size and separate with wax paper. Heat griddle on high.

Transfer tortilla to hot griddle.

Cook about 20 seconds on each side until small bubbles start to form and tortilla starts freckle.

Transfer to plate and continue process. Unused tortilla balls may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a day. Allow to come to room temperature before rolling out.

Tune in tomorrow for the yummy bean recipe that goes with...

Kindness of my in-laws Dan and Lillie for passing on their tortilla making craft to Babe and I. Not only did this recipe see us through a good chunk of the lean med school years but, 'tis now being rolled back out during the saving every penny for Hermes Paris period...XXOO

11 comments:

  1. Love this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing, and especially during our spending freeze. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made 'em...gonna try..they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. I love tortillas, but not the fat and carbs in the store bought ones.

    These look like a more healthy option (especially with the flax seed). Your second entry says "wheat flour", which I assume is whole wheat flour. I suppose if you only used whole wheat flour, they would come out tough.

    I will certainly check back for the bean filling recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look dee-licious!

    Way better than my father's budget item when he was young - powdered milk - blech.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely delicious. I buy whole wheat tortillas from Whole Foods, but I am sure these are on beyond better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good, but a little time consuming. I made pizza dough from scratch a few times for my Italian husband. I ended up going back to the Trader Joe's prepared dough though because it was good enough w/o the time, effort, and mess to clean up. Does that mean I'm lazy?...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made the empanaditas from the cookbook you gave me, and several other recipes that my men love.
    I love how you are carrying on the tradition...
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how some of the best food is the simplest and cheapest. Love your recipes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait to try these! I guess I will have to go pickup that cast iron skillet I've been eyeing at Williams-Sonoma, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home made is always best--but never tried these.
    Details on shirt? links?
    Enjoy your blog,
    BarbaraG
    (new commenter)

    ReplyDelete