04 November, 2010

Bean Burritos Continued...

Here's the promised bean recipe to go with your homemade flour tortillas from yesterday's post. Not only healthy and inexpensive but, more importantly, muy low in calories and bad fat...

tablespoon olive oil
tablespoon minced garlic
can red kidney beans (I prefer Goya cuz they are low in sugar)
tablespoon ground cumin
tablespoon oregano
*Babe and I usually double, and sometimes triple, this recipe and refrigerate leftovers.

Heat olive oil over medium heat and add garlic, sautéing til just brown.

Add beans and spices.

Continue cooking over medium heat stirring frequently.

Begin to mash the beans down with the back of the spoon helping to thicken the mixture.

When the consistency resembles the above pic they are completo!

Serve with homemade tortillas and a complete fixins bar including, but certainly not limited to:

shredded cheddar
chopped lettuce
chopped tomatoes
chopped onion
guacamole
salsa
hot sauce

Bon Appetite and you may wanna consider some Beano...

Kindness of Babe who will get all his shhhmancy, fattening, Mario Batali this and Bobby Vans that dining out of his system during the week cuz it's nuthin but bean burritos on the weekend menu for the foreseeable future. Like I said, all my pennies are be put in the Hermes kitty. Plus, the less weight I have to haul for my looming 13.1 miler, the greater my chances of not expiring...XXOO

16 comments:

  1. 1. is there an official trade name for your teakettle, and where did you get it?

    2. did you drain and rinse the beans before adding, or does the goo go into the pot w/ the beans.

    3. can't wait to make this, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also wondering same as Flo Q #2!

    And, the guacamole? A recipe or a brand?

    Thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the Windsor Quick Boil Tea Kettle and I purchased it yeeeaaars ago at Williams Sonoma although it looks like they no longer carry it. At least, not online. And, do not drain or rinse the bean. Just dump the can, goop and all...XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I do make homemade guacamole I swear by the Barefoot Contessa's recipe. But, on these occasions I literally just mash up an avacado...XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, goo and all, now I see why you selected Goya with less sugar. Having the proper name of your kettle has made all the difference, thanks so much, I found one in just a few seconds via google. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling....chopped garlic from a jar...I am shocked. Think how much better your lovely bean recipe would be with fresh garlic...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hangs head in shame...I know, I know...In every other instance I use fresh I swear it! But, when I get on a bean burrito roll it's a nifty short cut...XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a partner in crime when it comes to chopped garlic in a jar. It just makes life easier sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dinner Sunday night - check!

    When is your half?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey. I use chopped garlic on occasion too. Not only that, but I have been known to use powdered garlic(gasp) as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I'm guessing I can use the same recipe but using black beans instead of red beans; I prefer them over red beans. Thank you so much, either way! Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Putting the recipe in my Paprika app right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is similar to one of our standby dinner recipes. People always ask what we eat (we're vegan); now I have proof that we often eat the same thing "normal" people do! (BTW, sometimes we sautee onions with the garlic...mmm!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My god how gassy are you people over there?

    ReplyDelete